Laneway Homes- Smaller, greener, more affordable



West Vancouver council, after consulting with residents and other interested parties, has taken a favourable view to allowing coach houses.


Council has directed staff to draft bylaws that will go out for comment fall, 2013.


The goal is to meet the demand from residents who want greater housing diversity, smart growth and affordability.  


West Vancouver is not alone in its favourable view of this type of housing. 


In the Real Estate Board area, 12 municipalies and several rural communities on the Sunshine Coast now allow laneway or other similar types of homes.  


These smaller, typically less than 1,000 square foot homes, are also under consideration by other local governments scrabmlign to accommodate changing community needs as baby boomers age and want to:


* downsize into a smaller, energy-efficient, low maitnenance home on their own property;

* provide accommidation for an adult child or aging parent

*create a detached secondary suite for on-site care giver; or

*build a mortgage helper that can be rented and generate income, making home ownership more affordable


Which municipalities allow laneway homes?


Please go to my other page called Secondary Suite By-law Matrix on the other page prepared by the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver


Information taken from the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, Open House Edition, October 4, 2013

Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.